This feature allows a record to be assigned to a user based on a set of rules. This can be used to assign records to managers of different territories, based on postcode or geographical location for example.
This works by defining a rule set, adding individual rules (one rule or multiple rules), choosing a designated assigned user, and specifying whether to run the rule automatically or manually.
Configuring the Rules
You can access the rules by going to Settings > User Management > Assignment Rules. From this menu, select the module on which you want to set a rule;
When you have clicked on the relevant module you can either create a new rule, or edit any existing rules on your system, for that module.
Create a New Ruleset
Before you create the rules themselves, you need to Create and Save a Ruleset.
1. Give the Ruleset a Name.
2. Select whether the rule should run automatically (Always Run These Rules), or manually (Assigned User is set to "Assigned By Rules")
3. Select how you would like to add the new User (either replace the existing User or specify a main user).
When you are done, click Save Ruleset. You can now set up the rules.
Setting Up Rules
Firstly use the Assign To picklist to select the required User
Each rule can be set up using similar filters as those used to set up Views or Reports. Select a Field, specify the Operation required e.g. equals, does not equal, contains etc., and then in the Value field enter then value which should be matched against. To add subsequent rules, click the Add Row button.
Once saved you will be returned to the Ruleset edit screen which will show the rules attached.
Here you can either add a New Rule, or Save Ruleset.
Note: The Rules must be set to Active: Yes in order for them to come into effect.
Selecting the Order in which to run the rules
When you return to the list of Rulesets, you will see your new Rule which has been added:
The Rules are run in hierarchical order, that is to say as soon as a match is made it will run the assignment rule, and subsequent matches will not overwrite the assignment rule. As with the individual Rules, Rulesets must be set to Active: Yes in order for them to be activated. This allows you to create a Ruleset then add a large quantity of rules before turning it on, or to turn off individual rules or sets, that you may want to keep for later.
You can use the arrow icons to move a rule up and down and when you have edited the sequence for the rules to be run, select the Save Order button.
The Delete option permanently removes the Rule or Rule set. This can not be undone so should only be done if you are sure you wont need the rule or rule set again. Otherwise you should make the rule or ruleset inactive.
Additional options available for Contacts and Activities
When creating new rule sets for Contacts and Activities you will see some additional options.
The new values available for Contacts act as follows:
1) "Replace existing Assigned User" this is the original default behaviour for assignment rules the record is simply reassigned to the new owner based on the matching rule
2) "Replace the Assigned User and move previous owner to the Users sub-tab" as above this changes the Assigned To of the contact record but keeps the original user linked by adding them to the Users sub-tab of the Contact record
3) "Add new user to the User sub-tab, do not change the Assigned To" this will not change the Assigned To field value when a rule is met but instead will link the user for that rule to the Contact via the Users sub-tab. This is useful where you want the owner of the record to remain the same but allow an additional user visibility or control of the record too.
The new values for Activities act as follows:
1) Replace the existing Assigned User, the original default behaviour in relation to Activity assignment rules the Assigned To value is updated to the new user, the new user is also linked to the activity via the Users sub-tab, the previous Assigned To user remains linked to the activity via the Users sub-tab
2) "Add new user to the User sub-tab, do not change the Assigned To" simply adds the new user to the User sub-tab the existing Assigned To and User sub-tab links are kept.