To import data into OpenCRM you will need to have the import data in a compatible format. This is easy to do using a spreadsheet program, such as Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice, normally saving the file format as a CSV file. This is a common file type that is easy to manage and import.
1. Go to the module that you wish to import into (remember to apply some logic, in other words, if you are importing Contact Data, then go to the Contacts module, similarly with Company Data, this should be done through the Company module).
2. Select the Module
3. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select the "Import" option
4. Follow the steps on screen, which include:
- Select the Type of file to import - generally this would be a CSV file so select CUSTOM - Click NEXT
- Select the CSV file to import using the BROWSE button
Note : Has Header means that the spreadsheets first row contained the data describing the columns details, this row is displayed, to help with the field mapping, but not imported. Click NEXT.
5. This will upload the data onto the server in a temporary area to help speed up the import process so may take a short while.
6. The next screen contains two columns, the left column allows you to select the OpenCRM Field that you are going to import into, the right column displays a sample of the data that is due to be imported, this helps with the field mapping.
7. When you have completed this field mapping, you can select the IMPORT NOW button to start the data import.
Note : Save as Custom Mapping - this allows you to see the field mapping that you have set up in case you need to use the same structure again. This is particularly useful where you purchase data from a broker or are supplied data in a common format, where the column position and the associated OpenCRM fields remain the constant. This speeds up the import process as you can select a previously saved the Profile.
If you have set up Custom Mapping and want other users to use your mapping, you need to publish what you have mapped otherwise they will not be able to access your Mapping. When the Mapping is visible to others you will see the "un-publish" option:
The following FAQ may be helpful when preparing Data for Import into OpenCRM.
Troubleshooting problem areas concerning data import
There are various reasons why a data import into OpenCRM doesn't work as you would expect it to. Please refer to this FAQ article which identifies some hotspots and presents solutions to these issues: